Sunday, September 26, 2010

Healthy, Quick and Cheap: Microwave Popcorn

STOP! Do not buy any more microwave popcorn. That stuff is expensive. Instead get yourself these items:

Blog stuff 003
Popcorn (I bought Ladyfinger, which has small kernels) $1.50 for 1 1/4 lbs
Butter-flavored popcorn salt, $2.10 for 16 oz (this will last a long time!)
Olive Oil, a pantry staple
Brown lunch bag,$??? (I have no idea what I paid for these, but they are not expensive)
NOTE: You cannot use regular salt. It will not distribute evenly. Popcorn salt has a much finer texture. Of course, you can go salt-free.







Put 1/4 cup of popcorn in bag. Add 1 teaspoon of oil and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Fold the top of the bag down several times. Shake the bag to evenly distribute the oil and salt over the kernels. Place bag on a microwavable plate (paper is fine), because the oil will seep through. Pop it in the microwave on High until popping slows to about one pop every 5 seconds. My popcorn took about 1 minute 45 seconds. The average time for regular-sized kernels is about 2 minutes. Since everyone’s microwave isn’t the same, you will have to experiment to find your correct amount of time. I admit the first time I did this involved lots of smoke and VERY overdone popcorn, because I walked away from the microwave thinking that I could just use the POPCORN button on my microwave. That wasn’t a good idea. Oh well….live and learn.
Anyway, here is the finished product:
Blog stuff 004
Simple….and it is better than that prepackaged stuff. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...